The Future of Cities
Join NPR to explore the changing face of one of Europe’s most vibrant cities. In preparation for the Summer Olympics in 2012, London celebrated a boost in popularity and the completion of a variety of major architectural projects. Now, a decade later, examine the legacy of the 2012 Olympics and how the city continues to manage the competing challenges of historic preservation, urban development, and the desire to create sustainable new neighborhoods. Visit the Docklands and Canary Wharf transformed in the late 80s; see the ever-changing soaring skyline of The City, once the financial hub of Europe and discover the iconic Battersea Power Station; after decades of delay this landmark has been turned into a new luxury and sustainable neighborhood, an area also chosen as the site for the new US Embassy. Delve into formerly abandoned areas of the city and see how urban planners are meeting population needs while preserving historic land and monuments. As you contemplate the evolution of London over the course of the past century, consider the impact on housing and commercial real estate from current challenges: Brexit and the Covid-19 pandemic. Immigration has historically fueled economic growth in London, yet recent reports show that 700,000 Europeans have left London and returned to their homelands in the past year. Meet with people actively engaged in urban planning and design and experience private tours and discussions with key players as we explore the diverse areas of London and contemplate the future of this city.
- Discover the ever-changing face of London, as disused areas are turned into modern neighborhoods including the Docklands and Coal Drops Yard
- Join an architect-led tour of the iconic Battersea Power Station
- Explore the skyscrapers of London, visit the Sky Garden and also ride to the top of The Shard
- Meet with an urban planner to discuss the challenges involved with redeveloping former industrial locations
- Indulge in English cuisine from traditional pub fare and afternoon tea to top London restaurants and tasty, aromatic Indian dishes